What Should We Think of Dana Coverstone and His Dreams

What Should We Think of Dana Coverstone and His Dreams
posted July 16, 2020

Dana Coverstone is a name that has garnered considerable attention in recent weeks. He serves as a bi-vocational pastor of Living Word Ministries, an Assemblies of God church in Burkesville, KY.

The church’s website introduces the pastor in this way: "Pastor Dana Coverstone has a bachelors in Bible Theology from Central Bible College and a Masters of Divinity in Expository Preaching from Trinity Seminary. He began his ministry in 1991 as Youth Pastor at the Assemblies of God church in his hometown of Jasonville, Indiana. After serving there for 10 years he took the lead pastorate at an Assemblies of God church near Terre Haute, IN. In 2010 Pastor Dana and his family moved to Burkesville, KY to take the pastorate at Living Word."

In June, Pastor Coverstone shared a video  that has now been viewed over one million times in which he claims to have had dreams about the future. He believes his three dreams were given by God and should serve as a warning for our country.

His first dream was in December 2019. It revealed that something would happen in March and again in June 2020. He saw sickness, cities on fire and protesters. He heard the words, “Brace yourself. Brace yourself. Brace yourself.” Clearly a warning of bad things to come. Of course, looking back, it is easy to understand his dream in light of the events around COVID-19 and recent racial unrest. Coverstone says in the video, “The things I saw in the dream, are the same as I saw in the news in March through June.”

His second dream was like the first in that he again saw a calendar. A “white figure” appeared, said “Part Two” and again emphasized two months of the year – this time, September and November. Coverstone saw a fist hit the month of November and it exploded. He saw fighting in the streets, businesses and schools closed, money being sucked out of banks, politicians making deals while Washington D.C. burned. People were hiding in their homes and churches were burning. He saw no sign of President Trump or of leadership in our nation’s capital. It was utter chaos. And again, he heard the words, “Brace yourself. Brace yourself. Brace yourself.”

While in his explanation of his dream, he doesn’t say anything about the significance of September, of course, November will be significant due to the national election that will take place. Clearly, distressing and troubling times for our country are ahead.

In a third dream, he went to a bank for change and was told there was no change available as the U.S. mint was no longer making coins. The teller told him, “Prepare for hyperinflation.” Then came those words once again, “Brace yourself. Brace yourself. Brace yourself.”

Coverstone said since his first dream came true, he needed to share the other dreams as well. He believes COVID-19 will come back strong this fall and that chaos will revolve around the election. “We are going to see what could only lead to civil war in this country.” Later in the video he says, “I believe we are going to see between September and November incredible, terrible, awful, nasty, bad things happen in this nation.”

He urged believers to stockpile food, to find alternative forms of currency, to have an ample supply of guns and ammunition and to establish a communication plan with family members. And then to pray like you’ve never prayed before.

So, what do we do with these “prophesies” of Dana Coverstone?
I would urge you to completely ignore them. Why?

First, Coverstone is a conflicted “prophet.”
More than once in the video he boldly claims he isn’t a prophet, that is, he isn’t speaking for God. But at the same time, he claims to know what the voice of God sounds like, and thus he claims to believe his dreams are from God and accurately reveal the future.

“I’m not claiming to be a prophet. Let’s just see what happens in November and see if I’m right about this. But I know when I hear God’s voice. I know what God’s voice sounds like to me. I know when He speaks. I know when I have a dream that I know is Him.”

“By the time we get to November and nothing’s happened, on December 1 you call me on this and say, ‘Dana Coverstone, you’re an absolute idiot and fool for saying those things.’ Go right ahead because I realize I’m responsible for what I’ve spoken. But I also know what I’ve sensed, and I know the Holy Spirit’s voice enough to know that what I’ve heard, I believe is going to happen … I’m not a prophet but dreams have a prophetic edge to them sometimes.”

But you can’t have it both ways. Either God speaks through you or He doesn’t. The prophets of the Bible spoke for God and did so with authority. Can you imagine Moses saying to the children of Israel, “Let’s wait and see if the things I claim are going to happen come true?”

Second, God doesn’t speak to us in this manner today.
Hebrews 1.1-2 says, “Long ago God spoke many times and in many ways to our ancestors through the prophets. And now in these final days, He has spoken to us through His Son.”

Coverstone clearly states that he believes “dreams and visions are an extension of the spiritual gifts in 1 Corinthians 12.” But the miraculous gifts associated with the Apostles have ceased. God still speaks to us today, but He does so through the Scriptures which are sufficient. The gift of prophesy is no longer needed, and ceased with the passing away of the Apostles.

His understanding of the sign gifts is consistent with the Pentecostal understanding of the New Testament which explains why his current preaching series is on “dreams and visions.”

He posted: “Several years ago, a colleague prophesied over me and said that one day I would prophesy to thousands. I struggled to understand how that would ever happen as I am just a pastor/teacher from a rural community pastoring in a rural community. I am just me with very little flair and no hair. I am nobody. So I am very overwhelmed at the moment as I didn’t sign up for this but want to be obedient to what God is showing me. I work part-time at the local hospital to make ends meet and while washing pots and pans yesterday had an actual vision that I will post by tomorrow morning as I want to digest it more before I share it. However, I will not be posting anything unless I know it’s from God, even though I am bring [sic] asked to share dreams weekly. I want to use common sense in what I see and what I share publicly because I am responsible for what I say. The pressure on me at the moment, as I said, is overwhelming, so I am praying for wisdom and discernment and applying all that I have taught about dreams and visions to myself at this time as I want to be theologically and spiritually accurate in all I say.  I also don’t want to be weird, and as a Pentecost [sic] pastor, I have seen it and don’t want to replicate it.”

This is a telling paragraph from Pastor Coverstone and helps us understand how he interprets Scripture and the role of extra-biblical revelation (dreams) in his life.

Third, the New Testament has strong words of condemnation for those who claim to speak for God but do not (2 Peter 2; Jude). And of course, the Bible instructs believers to “test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world” (1 John 4.1).

No matter what the future holds, keep your eyes on Jesus and your mind firmly planted in the Word of God. You will need nothing else.

14 Comments

N C Northern - July 26th, 2020 at 1:22pm

I respectfully disagree with your response.

1. Acts 2:17-18 scripture for end times.

2. Please give me scripture that you use to base opinion that gifts of the spirit ceased when apostles died.

elizabeth - August 1st, 2020 at 9:19am

I agree with N.C. Northern. I respectfully disagree with the response also

Lindy - August 5th, 2020 at 10:25am

The miraculous gifts of the Apostles have not ceased. What about the seventy who Jesus gave authority to heal and cast out demons? Clearly they were not the apostles, yet healed the sick. Why did Jesus say greater works will we do? Why did Jesus command us to preach the gospel, heal the sick and cast out demons? And how did Paul, who was thought dead, rise up and walk MILES after he was surrounded by believers. Duh! They were praying for his healing. How else do you think he recovered from so many beatings that could kill a person? He was persecuted, and that was his thorn in the side. If you let the Bible interpret the Bible, in Joshua God warned the Israelites to deal with a certain people or they would become a thorn in their side. There are MANY Christians today that pray and believe in healing, and there are MANY miracles. I have seen several. It’s time For all believers to start believing! Ya know? Psalm 103 ... God heals all our diseases. As you believe you receive. According to your faith, be it unto you. Jesus’ words. Go big or go home.

J. C. Brandau - August 1st, 2020 at 4:52pm

agree with N.C. Northern. I am 76 and have lived my life experiencing the things of the Spirit of God that others said have stopped or passed away. I respectfully disagree with the response also.

Kathleen Lemoine - July 27th, 2020 at 12:51pm

Be careful of what you say ! God can use anyone of us as a prophet. As long as we are in The Spirit He can speak through us ! We need to as a Nation pray for our future. If my people who call themselves mine will pray I will heal their land ! Don’t bash Dana . The tongue can get you into a lot of trouble ! Pay heed & pray !

Kevin Brandenburg - July 28th, 2020 at 11:03am

Katherine you misquoted 2 Chronicle.

Kevin Brandenburg - July 28th, 2020 at 11:01am

Why does self appointed prophets always see these "things" after it happens? Yeshiyahu prophesied 400 years prior to happenings. What Dana is saying he "seen in dreams" is almost word for word what Smith Wiggles worth prophesied long ago. Hmmm? I wonder if he read Smith's books.?

Drewski - July 30th, 2020 at 9:25am

I respect what you say but I have to disagree. I usually don’t take anyone’s visions or prophecies seriously since they are usually totally wrong but this one seems different. If I have really learned one thing over these last couple of years, it’s that God works in mysterious ways and that’s aren’t always so black and white. Look at how he could be using this man. He puts his visions online and suddenly it goes viral for over a million people to listen to his word and the attention his video is getting continues to grow. Who is to say that God hasn’t used this man to wake people up? Also I understand his reluctance. This man has nothing to gain and everything to lose by putting his video out there. If he’s wrong, he will be criticized and scoffed at. In his position, I too would tell everyone to wait and see as he did.

Janet - August 3rd, 2020 at 2:21pm

I feel the same as you Drewski. There is something about this that has a message for me. It won't let me dismiss it. We, as Christians, should pray, pray, pray for our nation and the world. God will not let us down. I will be prepared.

Gunnar Wiskoff - August 1st, 2020 at 12:07pm

The fact is that 100 years after Christ ascended to Heaven, He had John the Apostle deliver 7 letters to 7 churches. Out of those 7 letters, ONLY TWO LETTERS were of an encouraging nature, while the other 5 letters were warnings, scoldings and pleadings to COME BACK!!! OPEN THE DOOR!!! LET ME BACK IN!!!!

Do the math!! If, after 100 years, the ratio was 2 good to 5 bad, multiply the trajectory by TWENTY!!!

I am, and will FOREVER be grateful for Christ to lay down His life for the sins of humanity, BUT IT WAS INSTITUTED BY GOD, THE FATHER!!!!!!!!!

Hebrews 11:1 states that "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things NOT SEEN."

John 12:44 states that "Jesus cried and said, he that believeth on me, believeth not on me, BUT ON HIM THAT SENT me."

I choose to believe in God, the unseen Father, the GIVER of the Sacrifice, whose intention was to reconcile THE WORLD unto Himself. I indeed pray fervently that Christians stop concentrating on the Sacrifice, and instead, show their appreciation to the GIVER of the Sacrifice.

Chance Lytle - August 2nd, 2020 at 1:04pm

I’ve learned to no longer put a limit on Gods ability, he once said you can’t eat anything unclean it was forbidden (Which was a lot of food) , then turned around and said everything that comes from me is clean and pure. Just because he spoke many times in the past, doesn’t mean he can’t and won’t in the future or in this situation the present. God Bless.

Felicia Cardone - August 2nd, 2020 at 4:52pm

I strongly agree with NC

Mike - August 3rd, 2020 at 3:41pm

Hello!

You state "Second, God doesn’t speak to us in this manner today." That's not what my Bible says.

Acts 2:17 quotes Joel as such:

"In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams."

You can not rationalize that away by any means. It's crystal clear that God WILL speak through both dreams and visions.

Regarding Mr. Coverstone's dreams, we'll see. Regarding your blatently incorrect statement that God doesn't speak that way today .... well, please keep that to yourself.

KM - August 6th, 2020 at 9:25am

I am sorry that you feel that God no longer speaks to His people except through scriptures because He certainly speaks to me! He told me that we are going to go through a hard fall and bump, similar to the first fall in a roller coaster and then he told me to "just hold on." He also told me that this is not the time for America to be destroyed. I fully believe that if enough of us get on our knees and FAST AND PRAY then GOD will hear our prayers. Remember that if Lott had found 10 righteous men, Sodom and Gomorroh would still be standing on this earth today.

Do I believe Dana Coverstone? I don't know. There is just something that doesn't sit right. I do think we need to prepare for the next few months and "hold on." GOD will get us through this if we trust him.